Rattan is as beautiful as it is durable, so most rattan furniture needs only basic cleaning and care to preserve its natural strength and color. Follow these steps to keep your rattan furniture looking as beautiful as the day you bought it.
- Clean the surface regularly. A monthly or even weekly cleaning is the best way to protect your rattan furniture and prevent major damage. Clean with a little dishwashing detergent diluted into luke warm water. Skim the foam off the top of the water with a sponge or soft cloth ad then wipe the furniture’s surface without getting the wood wet. Be sure to get into grooves with a toothbrush or other small brush.
- For an ultra long life on your Rattan wicker, make sure that it is shaded and not exposed to constant sunlight. A custom furniture cover is advised to protect your furniture best.
- Care for stains or other major damage immediately. Use detergent and a cloth to scrub out stains as soon as they occur. Our furniture covers comes standard with a scotch guarded cushion set to help prevent serious stain damage. For more serious damage like cracking of splitting of the wood, try boiled linseed oil to put moisture back into the material. For the real tough stuff, contact our expert maintenance team to care for your wicker with expertise.
- Do a major cleaning once a year. A thorough cleaning will take care of dirt buildup and will also prevent further damage. Scrub the rattan with detergent, using slightly more water than you use for the weekly cleaning. Then dry the wood (if there is a wooden area), as quickly as possible, using a hair dryer or setting the furniture in the sun. Finally, apply a coat of shellac or lacquer to seal the wood until the next year’s cleaning.
- Place rubber stoppers underneath the legs of the furniture. Keeping a bit of rubber between the wood and the oor will prevent unnecessary damage and splitting of the rattan.